Are you trying to decide which online English tutoring platform is best for you? Just ask yourself the following five questions, and the answer will be clear.
1. Can you choose your tutor?
The most important thing to consider is whether you can choose your tutor. This may sound obvious, but there are actually:
- Tutoring services that assign you a tutor and do not let you change to another one, even if the two of you are not a good fit.
- Tutoring services that make it difficult for you to book lessons with the same tutor more than once — Imagine finding a tutor that you like but never seeing them again!
Everyone has different learning styles, and studying with a tutor who understands your needs is key to your success. So, make sure you should choose a tutoring service that lets you pick your own tutor, switch to a different tutor, and take lessons with the same tutor if you want.
2. Group or one-on-one tutoring?
Next, you should consider whether you need group tutoring or one-on-one tutoring.
For adults, one-on-one tutoring is usually more effective since you have the tutor’s full attention and complete control over your learning process. You can learn at your own pace and you will get feedback that meets your needs.
Learn more about whether one-on-one or group tutoring is better for you.
3. Where are the tutors from?
You should also consider where the tutors come from. There are three main categories of tutors.
- Tutors from native English-speaking countries such as the US, UK or Australia. These tutors can teach you the most up-to-date language and slang. They're also great at helping you sound more natural.
- Non-native English speaking tutors: These tutors are usually better at teaching grammar, because they have formally learned the language themselves. They also understand the challenges of learning English, and can share advice about what worked for them.
- Tutors from your own country: Tutors who speak your language are a good choice for beginners who need help translating their thoughts into English.
If you are not sure what kind of tutor you should learn with, check out these resources:
4. How flexible is the service?
A truly flexible online tutoring platform can fit the needs of any kind of learner. We have already covered one basic example of flexibility: the freedom to choose a tutor.
In addition, the best online tutoring services will also allow you to:
- Book a lesson on the same day or even less than an hour before the lesson starts.
- Take lessons at different times of day. They know many learners are busy adults!
- Sign up for short term plans and upgrade to other plans if needed. They won’t force you to sign one- or two-year contracts from the start if you don't want to.
- Choose the learning resources you use. This means that if a textbook does not fit your learning style, you are allowed to switch to other materials.
5. Does the service meet your specific needs?
Finally, think carefully about any other requirements you may have and see if the tutoring platform fits them. For example:
- If you’re a beginner, you may want to have tutors who are certified English teachers, who speak your native language, or those who have a background in education.
- If you’re a working professional, you may want tutors who have business experience.
- If you’re preparing for an English test such as IELTS, you may want tutors who have taken the tests themselves or have experience preparing other students for it.
- If you're learning for fun, you may want a tutor with knowledge about your specific interests, like sports or pop culture.
Learn with Engoo
We hope this has given you a good idea of what to think about when choosing an online English tutoring service.
If you're still not sure and want to try a service that ticks all the boxes, Engoo is a great place to start." With Engoo:
- You can choose your tutor, and you can arrange to have lessons with the same tutor each time or choose a different tutor for every lesson.
- All our lessons are one-on-one, so you have your tutors full attention and get the most out of your lessons.
- Our tutors are from all over the world, and we have both native and non-native tutors available from over 100 countries.
- Lessons are available 24/7, 365 days a year, and you can book a lesson just 15 minutes before it starts.
- You can choose from a wide range of interesting and effective lesson materials.
- You can find tutors from business backgrounds, tutors with test prep experience, tutors with degrees in education, and even tutors who teach other languages. Simply search for what you need on our Tutors page.
Learn more about us here!